4 Things You Should Know About MOHS Surgery
Doctors use different treatment techniques for skin cancer. MOHS surgery is one of these techniques. Below are a few things you should know about the procedure.
1. It Is Best for Specific Skin Cancers
The MOHS surgical procedure is not the ultimate treatment for all forms of skin cancers. The treatment is best suited for skin cancers
- that have recurred or are likely to recur after alternative treatments.
- that affect parts of your body where you wish to preserve as much tissue as possible, such are areas around the body or genitals.
- with indefinite borders that complicate alternative treatments.
- that grows or is likely to grow fast if you don't remove the cancerous tissues fast.
Your doctor will diagnose and analyze your skin issue to determine whether it can benefit from MOHS surgery.
2. It Minimizes Tissue Damage
One of the best things about MOHS surgery is that it causes minimal tissue damage. The MOHS procedure makes minimal tissue damage possible. Below are the treatment's steps:
- First, the doctor removes the visible tumor plus small tissue next to the visible tumor.
- Next, the doctor analyzes the small tissue to determine whether it's cancerous.
- The analysis results determine the next procedure. If the small tissue is cancerous, the doctor removes another layer of tissue. Tissue removal and analysis continue until the analysis shows clean tissue.
The minimal tissue damage encourages fast healing and minimizes scarring.
3. It Has High Chances of Success
The MOHS surgery has a high success rate for the types of skin cancers it's meant for. The high success rate is partly due to the treatment process, specifically the analysis of tissue samples at every stage. The analysis ensures that the doctor does not stop the treatment process until they remove every cancerous tissue they can detect.
4. It Is an Outpatient Procedure
Lastly, you should know that you could get your MOHS procedure and return home the same day since it's an outpatient procedure. Outpatient procedures have several benefits. For example, you don't have to miss work or family for several days if you get an outpatient procedure. In addition, outpatient procedures are sometimes relatively cheaper than inpatient ones.
Skin cancer is a terrible disease, but doctors have discovered numerous treatment techniques with high degrees of success. Avoid DIY or at-home treatments and seek professional medical care if you suspect something is wrong with your skin. That way, you may get a timely diagnosis and treatment before cancer spreads.
For more information, visit a clinic like Desert Dermatology & Skin Cancer Specialists.